A Firefly Butt


A Firefly’s Butt

Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16 (Amp)

I love fireflies-love them. There is just something about sitting outside on a warm summer night waiting expectantly, wondering where the next one will decide to make itself known by breaking through the curtain of darkness. It’s always a surprise, always a joy, and it never fails to bring renewed child like splendor to my heart.

I don’t know how many Tupperware containers have been utilized for the quest of starry night firefly hunts and how many evenings have been spent in gleeful unison with my children chasing them, catching them, counting them and letting them go.

I am thankful for fireflies. OK- so it’s the simple things in life eh?

When a firefly lights up the night, dispelling darkness, bringing joy to my heart, the truth is, they are only “taking care of business.” They are simply doing what they were created to do.

Some interesting facts about fireflies-

1) Fireflies talk to each other with light.

2) Fireflies emit light mostly to attract mates, although they also communicate for other reasons as well, such as to defend territory and warn predators away.

3) Fireflies utilize almost 100% of their energy to emit light as compared with a normal everyday light bulb which utilizes only 10% of its energy as light and the other 90% only as heat.
Fireflies are efficient and purposeful in the light they emit.

We, as Believers, are created to do and be a certain way as well. We are created to shine bright and to dispel darkness with our light. We are created to bring Glory to God here upon the earth. It is our undeserved honor, our highest privilege, our undeniable purpose.

2 Corinthians 4:7 states : However, we possess this precious treasure [the divine Light of the Gospel] in [frail, human] vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding greatness of the power may be shown to be from God and not from ourselves.

A final interesting fact about the Firefly is that scientists don’t understand exactly how a firefly causes the light that is within them to turn on and off. There is a chemical reaction that occurs when what they already have within them joins with the oxygen that they breathe in. They simply breathe and they have the ability to shine at will. Its cause and effect at its best.

Once we are believers, the Lord places within us His light that enables us to shine bright to bring Him Glory. When we “breathe Him in” by abiding in the vine, dwelling in the shadow of the Most High, and resting in that secret place within the peace of His presence we are able to turn on our light at will. If we are not doing our part to breathe Him in by allowing Him to pour into us all that we need then we will not have what we need to shine. It’s cause and effect at its best.

There are many days that I feel about as beautiful, as significant, and as splendid as a Firefly’s butt—and I am simply amazed that He can use me to bring Him Glory in any way, shape or form. It is on these days that I must choose get my mind off of me and turn my attention toward Him. I must make myself available to His purposes by choosing to be humble enough to believe that if He can make a Firefly butt shine…well, then He can make me shine too.

Father, my heart is to shine for You as bright as I possibly can here upon the earth. I thank you Lord that even when I feel as dull as brass that you in your loving kindness still choose to use me in ways that you see fit allowing me to be a vessel through which you receive Glory. Help me to always be mindful of breathing you in so that I always have what I need to shine bright.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “A Firefly Butt

  1. Tanya, what a wonderful post. I love fireflies, too. I didn’t grow up around them but I saw them in Kansas when we had a couple of family reunions. I was enthralled.

    Such great insight into the unexplainable light of nature and of the supernatural power of God …

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s